Veal Stuffed Meatballs
I love meatballs – There are so many variations and I explore as often as possible. If you like veal then try these delicious meatballs. Great for dinner or entertaining. Enjoy
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow yellow onion, diced/li>
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divide
- 1/4 plain breadcrumbs or make your own from 2 slices of plain bread
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 ounces Italian fontina cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with juices
- Crusty bread or Spaghetti for serving
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F
- I always like to start the sauce first and let it simmer. Add the 2 cans of sauce and 1/2 can of water, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, basil, oregano and garlic. Bring to a bowl then add tomato paste and add hot water to the paste can and mix with a spoon and add to the sauce. Let simmer!
- Now for the meatballs: In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and minced garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, 8 minutes. Stir in the parsley and rosemary and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and let stand until cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the veal, onion mixture, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano and salt and black pepper. Mix with clean hands until well combined.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoon-size balls from the veal mixture. Stuff a cube of Fontina into the center of each meatball and roll to enclose the cheese. Put the meatballs to the baking sheet.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in meatballs and cook for about 7 minutes. Until browned. Do in batches and add in more oil as needed!
- Add meatballs into sauce and let simmer until ready for enjoyment.
Note: Goes great with crusty bread, a side of spaghetti or roasted vegetables!