Veal Stew with Artichokes
- 2 1/2 pounds veal stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Sea salt and pepper to season veal cubes
- 2 packages frozen artichokes, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 teaspoons good quality Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (or home made)
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Take veal cubes and season with salt and in 2 batches, brown veal on all sides. Transfer browned veal to a platter or if you are using a slow cooker then set to low and start adding the browned veal.
- After each batch, deglaze pan by adding 1/4 cup wine to the hot pan, scraping up any brown bits; add to the dutch oven.
- When all meat is browned, add 1 teaspoon oil; add in carrots, onions and celery, sauté for 3 minutes. Then add in shallot, garlic, chicken stock, arrowroot flour, coriander and parsley in the pot with veal and the carrot and onion mixture.
- Place the parsley on top of the veal mixture. Tuck the bay leaf into the center. Cover set to a low temperature for 4 hours.
- While the stew is cooking take the artichokes and place in a bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the artichokes and stir together. When ready to use the artichokes – just drain the lemon juice.
- NOTE: You can also put this in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours or put in the oven at 325 degrees F for 3 1/2 hours.
- One hour before serving, remove bay leaf; discard. Stir in artichokes, cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes or if you are using a slow cooker – for 1 more hour.