If you know me then you know very well that I love eggplant. I first had this delicious eggplant recipe while in Tuscany with my husband 2 years ago (2010). We enjoyed so many meals and what I loved most was the small dishes. This let us try several dishes while dining at each restaurant. I make this often when entertaining and I serve them in individual oven-safe dishes. You can also make a large platter and let everyone serve them self. Either way – I can promise you this eggplant recipe will be a hit! Enjoy..
This will make 4 individual servings
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of your marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts (optional, but it is great with the pine nuts)
- Fresh Basil
leaves (save some for garnish)
Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- Take your individual serving dishes and arrange on a large baking sheet (or 2 depending on how many you are making).
- Slice eggplant the long way thinly (you can also slice them round it really depends on the size of the eggplant). On a plastic board or platter drizzle oil on both sides of the eggplant and season with oregano, salt and if you decide to use red pepper flakes.
- Heat a large stove top grill pan or your outdoor grill on medium heat.
- Cook each side for 6-8 minutes until it becomes lightly charred. Put aside on your platter.
- To prepare each dish. Take a tablespoon of marinara and line the bottom of the single serving dish.
- Place the eggplants slices (about 2 per dish) then take a slice of mozzarella and place on top of the eggplant. Sprinkle a tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
- Add a little more sauce, sprinkle a few pine nuts and fresh basil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, When ready to serve add fresh basil leaves for garnish.
Note: I like to keep a little marinara on the stove for those who like a little extra!!
If you don’t have individual oven safe dishes just use a large baking dish!