Spinach Stuffed Braciole
Braciole is a popular Italian recipe. This meat is cooked all day in a sauce until tender. What a great way to use flank steak to make an amazing paleo recipe for your family or guests! I love to stuff with spinach and roasted red peppers but you can also add fontina cheese to this dish!
- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 1.5 to 2 pounds of flank steak, pounded out
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Equipment – slow cooker
- Take out the slow cooker, put on high heat and add sauce.
- Take your meat, cover with plastic or wax paper and beat with a meat mallet until the thickness is about 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper, put aside
- In a heated medium sauté pan add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté spinach, about 5 minutes. Put aside and let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg, garlic, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes then add in spinach and fold mixture together.
- Take the mixture and spread on meat, roll and tie securely
- Taking a large skillet, heat on medium/high heat and coat with the remainder 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the meat on all sides (about 2 minutes each side)
- Lower the heat to medium on the slow cooker, add in beef and cook for at least 4 hours. If you will have it in longer then set to low for 6 hours.
- To serve, take out braciole, cut in half and remove the rope (and or any toothpicks). To serve put on plate and add sauce to the top.
- A great side dish is steamed vegetables.
Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
Make a big pot of sauce and freeze in serving sizes to use later!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 can of water
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Tomato Sauce Directions:
- Heat a large sauce pan to medium heat and add olive oil. When heated add garlic for 1 minute. Then add sauce, water, salt pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and add in paste. Take a little bit of hot tap water and using a spoon get all of the edges from the paste and pour into the pan. Add in spices, cover for at least 30 minutes. Longer is better. Taste for additional salt and if you like a little more heat – add a few shakes of red pepper flakes! Stir often.
NOTE: Take the 2 cans of sauce. Add 1/2 water to one can and pour into the other can then pour into the pan. This will not only clean out your cans but use all of the sauce. If it seems to thick, add more water.
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!