Paleo Short Ribs with Spaghetti Squash
This recipe for Paleo short ribs with spaghetti squash is a great comfort dinner and the next day it is even more amazing! You can even prepare this on the stovetop then place in your slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
- 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, thin slices
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- A bunch of fresh thyme, tied together
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tablespoons organic butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf Parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or ovenproof stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the ribs and set aside. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes Bring the mixture to a boil and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Return the ribs to the pan. Add the beef broth, Add in 2 bay leaves and bunch of thyme. Cover the pan and place in the oven for 3 hours until the meat is fork-tender and falls easily from the bone. While the beef is in the oven prepare your spaghetti squash. Recipe below!
- When you take the pan out of the oven – remove the meat off the bone and put on a platter, make sure you have all the bones out of the pan and discard. Also, remove the bay leaves and thyme bundle. With a spoon do a quick scoop off the top and discard.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Take the juice and put into a blender and add arrowroot powder, 1 teaspoon at a time. Puree, you may need to do in batches. Taste as you also may want to add salt and pepper. Put back into the pan and add the shredded meat, add tomato paste (stir well) and set stove top to simmer.
- Add chopped parsley before serving.
Directions for Spaghetti Squash:
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove the top layer of seeds. Take butter and melt in the microwave. Using a pastry brush coat with butter.
- Take your baking sheet and line with aluminum foil. Put squash side down on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. When done scrape out spaghetti onto a saute pan and add another teaspoon of butter. When you are ready to serve the beef heat up the pan with spaghetti squash.
Another substitution which is delicious.
**Steam cauliflower for 20 minutes then puree in your food processor or blender with a little chicken broth. I like to add more garlic, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a few red pepper flakes! You can also prepare a more traditional way and serve with pappardelle pasta!!
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!