Paleo Short Ribs with Spaghetti Squash
This recipe for Paleo short ribs with spaghetti squash is a great comfort dinner and the next day it is even more amazing! You can even prepare this on the stovetop then place in your slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
I like to remove the meat form the bone and make the sauce a little thicker before serving. You can omit that part and just skim the fat off the top and serve as is. Sometimes I serve them in tact and other times I remove the meat! It’s up to you! Either was this is an amazing dish and totally worth the wait.
- 4-5 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, thin slices
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A bunch of fresh thyme, tied together
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tablespoons organic butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 2750°F.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or ovenproof stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring around the short ribs frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes Bring the mixture to a boil and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the broth, 2 bay leaves, oregano, red pepper flakes and bunch of thyme. Cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until the meat is fork-tender and falls easily from the bone. While the beef is in the oven prepare your spaghetti squash. Recipe below!
- When you take the pan out of the oven – remove the meat off the bone and put on a platter, make sure you have all the bones out of the pan and discard. Also, remove the bay leaves and thyme bundle. With a spoon do a quick scoop off the top and discard.
- Skim the top with a large spoon to remove any fat. Bring the sauce to a boil then add in arrowroot powder and stir in. This will thicken your sauce. Taste as you also may want to add salt and pepper.
- Add meat back into the pan and keep warm until serving.
- Top with chopped parsley before serving.
Directions for Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove the top layer of seeds. Take butter and melt in the microwave. Using a pastry brush coat with butter.
- Take your baking sheet and line with aluminum foil. Put squash side down on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. When done scrape out spaghetti onto a saute pan and add another teaspoon of butter. When you are ready to serve the beef heat up the pan with spaghetti squash.
Another substitution which is delicious.
**Steam cauliflower for 20 minutes then puree in your food processor or blender with a little chicken broth. I like to add more garlic, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a few red pepper flakes! You can also prepare a more traditional way and serve with pappardelle pasta!!
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!