Paleo Un-Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Here we go again with my one-pot meals. I love stuffed cabbage and have all the ingredients to make one but with the snow we are getting in Connecticut I decided to make soup. This Paleo recipes is delicious and I hope you try and enjoy my un-stuffed cabbage soup.
I only used about 1/4 head of cauliflower and 1/2 of a zucchini. Shredded through my food processor and the measurement was 1 1/4 cup total. That amount seemed perfect for 1 1/2 pounds of meat. If you use more then add more of the cauliflower/zucchini mixture.
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork (you can use all ground beef)
- 1 cup shredded cauliflower
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (I used frozen)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the Soup
- 2 large cloves garlic (2-3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used frozen)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I used from a tube)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium cabbage, core removed (4 cups)
1/2 lemon juiced, about 2 teaspoons
- Take out your large cast iron pan. I love to use my Le Creuset Oval French Oven
- For the meatballs: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, cauliflower/zucchini, salt, pepper, cumin and onions. Form into 1-inch balls. Heat your soup pot and add in olive oil. Sauté until all sides are brown. About 7 minutes. Remove any excess grease.
- For the soup: If you need an extra olive oil add it now if not: Add the onions and sweat until translucent then add in garlic about 3 minutes. Next add in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in tomato pasta and stir with a spoon to mix into liquid. Add salt and pepper. Cover and lower to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Take cabbage and remove core and inner white part. Cut into thin slices and add to the pot. Cover and set temperature to a medium/low for 20 minutes.
- Add in lemon juice and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite garnishes or toppings!