Italian Wedding Soup
As an Italian I love this Paleo recipe version of Italian Wedding soup, my favorite soup! I don’t feel like I am missing anything with this Paleo soup as it has so many flavors and adding the swirl of eggs at the end really makes this Paleo soup extra special.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs or almond meal
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive Oil
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 pound of escarole, cleaned and chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the meatballs: Stir the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Add in beef and pork and combine well.
- Either using a small melon scoop or measure about 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet or platter.
- Take your large pot and add a little olive oil. Heat the pan to medium/high. Drop in each meatball and brown for about 1 minute each side. Don’t cook the inside, just brown. Take out and put back on the baking sheet or platter.
- Wipe out the bottom of the pan with a paper towel and continue to keep the pan hot. Add in broth and bring to a boil. Carefully drop in meatballs and let simmer for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then add in escarole.
- When you are almost ready to serve whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl and add to the broth and stir quickly but carefully. Let the eggs sit for a couple of minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
- If you are using Parmesan cheese, after you ladle your bowl sprinkle a little on top of the soup!
Cindy’s Note: You can use ground turkey for the meatballs. Also, I use other variations for example: If I have carrots and celery in the refrigerator then I will chop one of each and sauté in the pan then add the soup ingredients. You can also use spinach if you can’t find escarole.
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!