Italian Chicken Casserole
- 1 (2 1/2-3) pound whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic,sliced
- 1 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 24ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup olives
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large cast iron oven proof pan heat pan to medium and add oil.
- Brown chicken on all sides. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove chicken to large baking dish. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings. To drippings add onion and garlic. Sauté until tender.
- In a small bowl combine arrowroot flour and 1/4 cup wine and stir together. Pour in the pan, add tomatoes and liquid.
- Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally as it thickens.
- Add in bay leaf, marjoram, pepper, and thyme. Next add the chicken back in the pan then cover with the celery, carrots, olives and mushrooms. Pour remaining 1/4 cup of wine.
- Bring to a boil then cover and put into the oven for 20 minutes, then add capers and continue baking for another 15 minutes (until chicken is tender).
- Garnish with any fresh herbs you have handy!
Note: I like to sauté fresh zucchini and summer squash to go along with this dish OR Serve with spaghetti squash!
Cooks Note – I added the capers in during the end of the cooking process so they don’t get mushy. If you forget just add them when you take the casserole out of the oven before serving!
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!