These are always a hit when we have guests over. Sometimes we grill them to get that smoky flavor and grill marks.
- 2 medium eggplants
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 10-15 slices of good prosciutto (sliced in 1/2)
- Fresh mozzarella, 1 large ball (thinly sliced then sliced in 1/2)
- Bunch of fresh Basil leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Clean and slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Salt both sides and stack on board with paper towels in between each layer for 30 minutes to extract all moisture in the eggplant.
- Heat grill pan on stove (I use a long grill that covers 2 burners) or can be grilled (medium heat).
- Taking each slice of eggplant brush both sides with Extra-virgin olive oil and salt then grill for about 4 minutes on each side. (do this in batches)
- Prepare your dish ready (I use an oval dish that will look good to serve right from the oven)
- Using a board, spread out the eggplants
- Take the 1/2 piece of prosciutto, a basil leaf and a slice of mozzarella, then roll tightly and put in dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, serve immediately
Your guests will love these!
NOTE: You are at a farmers market and they have beautiful eggplants. Go home and make the eggplants ahead of time. Put in a zip lock baggie in the freezer. Take them out when you’re ready to roll.
PS: If you are not using Mozzarella cheese in your diet – Omit from the recipe! Just as amazing.
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!