Yes, I made eggplant meatballs. If you know me – You know I love Eggplant! And – I love meatballs. So I decided to make 2 of my favorites together… Delicious.. I used ground turkey and almond meal but I am giving you alternative suggestions below.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 large eggs (lightly whisked)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup italian breadcrumbs or almond flour
- Olive oil or Coconut oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce (prepared and warming stove top)
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with foil or parchment paper.
- Take eggplant and slice in half. Using a fork pierce about 4 times on each side of the skin. Place flesh side down and bake for 30 -40 minutes. Until soft. Let cool.
- Remove flesh into a large bowl and use your fork to keep the consistency the same. You don’t want this to me a dip form but small chunks. (If it seems to have too much liquid then let sit in a colander for about 10 minutes).
- Next add in ground turkey/beef, carrot, onion, eggs, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Combine well. Next add in your breadcrumbs or almond flour and coat all of the ingredients together (gently as you don’t want to over mix).
- Prepare your baking sheet by lining with foil or parchment paper. If you are using foil then coat the bottom with olive oil or coconut oil. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until brown and turning once.
- Remove from oven and add to you prepared marinara and keep heat to a low-medium for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F