I get a lot of questions regarding grilling eggplant. I can relate to grilling any vegetables. You buy the perfect eggplant and when you grill it part of it burns and gets crispy which was not the plan then you get discouraged. Especially when you want it for a vegetable salad or that perfect recipe you wanted to try for company. Here are my tips to ensure your eggplant will grill perfect every time!
#1 You need to have the time to let the eggplant sit for about 30 minutes.
- Kosher Salt
- Paper or Cloth Towels
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Small Bowl
- Cooking Brush
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Grill or Grill Pan
Directions for the Grilled Eggplant:
- Start by cutting your eggplant into ½-inch slices, Either round or long. (to achieve slices - cut the bottom of the eggplant and stand tall. Use a sharp chefs knife and cut straight down)
- Lay eggplant evenly on a work board then sprinkle the slices lightly with salt on both sides. Top the layer with paper towels. Add another layer and salt both sides. Continue process until all slices are salted. Let sit for 30 minutes. This process will remove excess moisture.
4. Remove the layers of paper towels and grab a few clean paper towels and pat each slice and stack for grilling.
- Prepare your grill or grill pan at a medium-high temperature.
- Pour about 1/4 cup EVOO in a small bowl and brush both sides of your eggplant slices. (re-fill bowl as needed). Brush your grill pan or outdoor grill lightly with EVOO. Season eggplant lightly with pepper.
- Grill eggplant for about 5-7 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Flip the slices, and cook until browned on the bottom again for about 3-4 minutes.
- Enjoy your grilled eggplant in your favorite recipes, part of a salad or simply drizzle balsamic dressing!
Here are some of our Eggplant recipes you may love as much as we do!
- Eggplant Rollups
- Eggplant Parmesan wrapped meatloaf
- Eggplant and Bean Pomodoro with Spaghetti Squash
- Eggplant Meatballs
- Eggplant Caponata
- Vegetable Loaded Eggplant Lasagna
- Eggplant Salad
- Tuscan Eggplant
- Eggplant Bolognese
- Stuffed Eggplant
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Roasted Eggplant Hummus
- Eggplant Rollatini
- Eggplant Francaise
- Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad