Cauliflower and Scallions Pancakes
This is a great recipe to use left over roasted cauliflower or you can cut up a fresh one and cook. I am including the left over version below.
- 1/2 head fresh cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup almond meal or 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a large sauce pot, add about a quarter of the pot with water and bring to a boil. boil. Add cauliflower florets. Cover. Turn heat down to medium. Cook for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until the florets are soft enough to be easily mashed.
- Drain the cauliflower in a colander. Mash lightly with a fork, leaving some texture rather than creating a mash. Let the cauliflower before you start adding the other ingredients.
- Place cauliflower in a mixing bowl. Add beaten eggs and green onions. Add flour a little at a time to create a pancake-like batter. Season with red pepper flakes, basil, salt and pepper.
- On medium-high heat, heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a large sauté pan pan. When the oil is hot, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into pan. Flatten the pancakes a bit so they are not too thick to cook well in the middle. Fry approximately 3 minutes on each side, until browned on both sides and firm in the middle.
- Remove from sauté pan onto paper towels and let cool.
- Repeat, starting with hot oil and then dropping spoonfuls of batter, until all the batter is used.
- Arrange on a platter and garnish with fresh herbs
NOTE: If using left over roasted cauliflower. Just take out your food processor and insert the grating disk. Add cauliflower through the processor (it will look like rice). Take out and put into a bowl. Start with adding ingredients. Enjoy!
Also, if you don’t have any green onions handy just omit or shred zucchini or any other vegetable you have handy in the refrigerator.