Calabrian sausage, fava beans and pasta
As an Italian there is nothing better then a pasta dish full of flavor! Try my Calabrian Sausage, fava beans and pasta dish! It will be a proud pleasure and even better the next day for lunch!
I am fortunate to have the best Italian market in our area with the freshest meats and Italian food. If you are in Hartford check out my friends at D&D Market.
I used dried herbs in this recipe because I always have them on hand. If you have fresh just chop and double the measurements.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 links of spicy sausage, cut into chunks
- 2 links of sweet sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pile of favas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and more for pasta water
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 28 ounce can san marzano tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Favorite Pasta
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Once pan is hot add oil then sausage. Let cook for about 10 minutes until the sausage is brown on all sides.
- Add garlic and beans, cover and cook until beans are tender but not overcooked, about 7 minutes, testing often.
- Add in can of tomatoes then basil, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil; taste for any additional seasonings. Lower to simmer.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in 2 tablespoons salt then pasta. Follow directions but subtract 2 minutes. The pasta will finish cooking in the sauce mixture.
- Drain pasta but reserve 1 cup of water. Add pasta to the sauce and combine well. If too thick then add in pasta water.
- Taste for any additional seasonings.
- Keep on low and covered until ready to serve.
Note: You can use canned fava beans if fresh are not in season. If you do use from a can then you can add garlic, beans and tomatoes in at the same time.
Check out Cindy's Website - Cindy's Table!
Facebook - Cindy's Table today!
Twitter - @CindysTable today!