Bolognese Stuffed Tomatoes
As you probably know by now I love having a big pot of something going on my stove top! Most of the time it is a sauce and my favorite is a bolognese. How about stuffing bolognese in a tomato! YUM…. This can be served as a buffet food, appetizer or the main course with a side salad. Go ahead – give it a try!
My bolognese stuffed tomatoes is a great paleo recipe, gluten free recipe or just a great meal.
- 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/2 pound of Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper,finely chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 large beef tomatoes
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil to a large heated sauté pan over medium temperature.
- Add the onion and all of the meat, until browned. Drain excess liquid. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add in sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste for any additional spices or salt/pepper.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes in half and scoop out the flesh. Keep the top of the tomato.
- Pour the bolognese mixture into the halved tomatoes, cover with top and bake for 25 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh herbs
- If you are using any cheese I sometimes top with fresh parmesan cheese.
NOTE: You can omit the 1/2 pound of veal and substitute with 1 pound of ground beef.